Who Is Arnold W. Brunner
The Arnold W. Brunner Grant was established by Emma B. Brunner, the wife of architect Arnold William Brunner in the early 1950’s.
Its purpose is to advance study in any area of architectural investigation which will effectively contribute to the knowledge, teaching or practice of the art and science of architecture.
Arnold William Brunner was born in New York City in 1857. He graduated from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where he studied under William R. Ware. He spent his early career working in the architecture office of George B. Post and later founded the firm Brunner & Tyron with Thomas Tyron. Brunner is one of the founders of the Architectural League of New York (1881) and was a Fellow of the American Institute of Architects (1892).
Brunner designed and erected many buildings including Congregation Shearith Israel, the Jewish Theological Seminary of America, Mount Sinai Hospital, and Students’ Hall at Barnard College, which is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.